IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6) is the sixth revision to the Internet Protocol and the successor to IPv4. It functions similarly to IPv4 in that it provides the unique IP addresses necessary for Internet-enabled devices to communicate.
Best answer: IPv6 can potentially add support for more devices, better security, and more efficient connections. While some older software may not work as expected, most of your network should work fine with IPv6 enabled.
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a mandatory part of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and newer versions. We do not recommend that you disable IPv6 or its components. If you do, some Windows components may not function. We recommend using Prefer IPv4 over IPv6 in prefix policies instead of disabling IPV6.
The main difference between IPv4 and IPv6 is the address size of IP addresses. The IPv4 is a 32-bit address, whereas IPv6 is a 128-bit hexadecimal address. IPv6 provides a large address space, and it contains a simple header as compared to IPv4.
You can test it with test-ipv6.com. However, the main question is: do you need IPv6 in your home network? The answer is largely, no. Only a small fraction of your devices fully support IPv6 or is able to operate in an IPv6-only network.
When possible, it is better to keep both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses enabled. For example, using only IPv6 can cause some accessibility issues, as only about one third of the internet supports IPv6 addresses. Likewise, disabling IPv6 can cause certain problems, especially if your router is already using an IPv6 address.
Cisco says that disabling IPv6 is treating the symptom, not the disease: the underlying network problem remains unresolved. Microsoft also warns against disabling IPv6. You may remove your acute problem, but you're letting yourself in for much bigger problems further down the line.
IPv6 simplified the router's task compared to IPv4. IPv6 is more compatible to mobile networks than IPv4. IPv6 allows for bigger payloads than what is allowed in IPv4. IPv6 is used by less than 1% of the networks, while IPv4 is still in use by the remaining 99%.
As you can see, some of the world's biggest content providers like Google, YouTube, Facebook, and Netflix are now IPv6-capable. Other sites that top the list include Wikipedia, Yahoo, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Yandex.
Besides modern browsers can fail over between IPv4 and IPv6 in less than a second, so having both enabled can provide additional resilience to some network failures.
There are two main types of IPv6 WAN connectivity: native (Auto and Static) and tunneling over IPv4 (6to4, 6in4, and 6rd). Native – (Auto and Static) The upstream ISP routes IPv6 packets directly.
The “IPv6 no internet access” problem may occur if you are using the wrong Ethernet driver or it's out of date. So you should update your Ethernet driver to see if it fixes your problem. If you don't have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
In general, there's no major difference between IPv4 vs IPv6 speeds, though some evidence does suggest that IPv6 might be slightly faster in some situations.
How to set up an IPv6 Internet connection on the Wi-Fi Routers (new logo)?
Nov 19, 2021
It may be difficult for some people to trust a router without NAT, but it is not needed for IPv6 (see RFC 4864, Local Network Protection for IPv6). The return traffic will return to the home CPE device, which should statefully track those connections.
They can be randomly generated, or generated using your interfaces MAC address (using the EUI-64 formatting) The other IP you have will be your global IPv6 address and is used for all the actual client communications you would expect to see out across the internet etc.
Right-click the connection for which you want to disable IPv6, and select Properties. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and click OK.
A device generates new 64 bits every once in a while and uses that in the IPv6 address. Because new addresses are generated regularly the addresses are marked as temporary . A device can have multiple privacy extension addresses if the system is still using an old address when a new address is being generated.
This is because if you are using your cellphone's network, with every new tower you connect to at some location, it will issue a new connection with the carrier, thus changing your IP address. It is masked with a private IP as well. You may have other IPv6 addresses, like temporary/deprecated and Link-Local.